

EXECUTIVE MEETING

Date: 7/12/22

Time Opened:

Attending: Ben, Grace, Kat, Bea, Kai, Charlotte

Apologies: Phi

Minutes: Charlotte

Time Closed:

AGENDA ITEMS

1. Acknowledgement of country
2. Administration
 - a. Accepting the previous meeting's minutes
 - b. Declaration of conflicts of interest
 - c. Executive decisions since the last executive meeting
 - d. Declaration of confidential agenda items
3. Portfolio reports
4. ANU Committees
5. WHS/EAP reminder
6. Matters for discussion
7. Matters for decision

MINUTES

Acknowledgement of country

Administration

Accepting the previous meeting's minutes

Declaration of conflicts of interest

Executive decisions since the last executive meeting

Declaration of confidential agenda items

Portfolio reports

Ben

Residential hall advocacy

SA8 update

ISD on AcBoard

BY: This is great!

SSAF exemption

SSAF proposal

BY: This is a formality, doing a bit each day.

Met with Hiba from UMSU

BY: talked a lot about the Palestine motion, how it went down at UMSU, how the NUS sucks.

Met with Alex Lane re NUS

NUS update

KDB: How often has the Department shared pool be spent in recent memory?

BY: Women's birth control subsidy got us closer to all this year but historically it's only ever a dent in the pool. It's okay if they don't spend that money we can just absorb it, it's different to their individual funding. No student organisation should sit on money.

Grace

Inductions

GK: Exec and College Rep inductions this week.

Rep support

Buddy system

- Slack and email

GK: you should all know who your buddies are, please contact them at some point this week. Ask all of your buddies if they have access to the slack and their position email. At least half of them haven't had access to Slack before, that's a significant priority.

ACTION: message your buddies

BKSS

- Final hires
- Timesheets
- Buying

GK: All BKSS offers have been accepted. I'm going to purchase a different timesheet system for the BKSS to better represent hours and keep track of them. Also just buying stuff for the BKSS.

Birth control subsidy

Training

GK: going to procure training in allergy management to be compliant, it's new and not very expensive.

Workers' week

GK: started on this today, if you want to be involved I'll just send you things once I have something more substantial. Thinking first step is I can publish and promote the survey, second part is getting unions and student services and departments on board. I really want to touch on unions, looking at worker's comp, worker's rights, bullying and harassment. Implication of international students.

BY: I don't like the title 'Worker's week'

GK: I agree, it won't be called that

BT: Can the exec get involved?

GK: Of course! This is open to everybody who wants to be, when it becomes something more.

BY: Just establish what involvement what you want to have.

Kat

Vending Machine

KH: met the other candidate for suppliers of vending machines on campus, Eleanor and I will decide by Christmas. THAT's the timeline right now.

Department baseline funding

KH: Departments are sending in their baseline funding right now.

Budget

KH: Ben has the budget, Jaya didn't send it to me so once that's done I'll share it in the Sharepoint.

Phi

Apologies.

Bea

BT: different forums for different people to gain support.

BT: been brainstorming how to set up the semester to come, dep-eds, training, o-week stuff. Decided today that dep-ed form will close end of shut down period so interviews will be in January. Keen to chat about counter course guide as well, reading the USyd one.

Kai

Food donation forum tomorrow

KDB: get a sense of what the state of play is right now, getting more student bites instead of waiting for OzHarvest

I will be presenting at ANU Cares final workshops next week

KDB: They need more students, if you know anyone send them my way.

ACT Planning Bill is taking submissions until February 2023 – first time in 15 years

KDB: All of these planning acts and strategies are being developed by the ACT right now, this is a huge opportunity for us to have our say and keep housing prices down. Affordability is a top priority for us and it's not on there right now so lots of work to be done, let's kick up a fuss. Form closes in Feb but ongoing process.

BT: What kind of time commitment is it?

KDB: Half day on Tuesday, full day on Friday, paid \$40 an hour in Visa gift cards.

GK: They'll have to declare it as a gift if you're talking to reps.

Charlotte

Coordinators have started yay!

Theme for O-Week confirmed

Market Day cost problem is fixed

Wambam is a-go.

GK: Some college reps and gen reps want to have events in o-week.

CC: Cool they can send that to me, I'll be aware of it.

ANU Committees

Ben - Libraries

BY: Library Advisory Committee was great, they're lovely. They're facing budget cuts which is grim, they don't think they'll have to cut any staff. There was discussion about interlibrary loans

GK: For my degree there are 3 books in the library on Syria, lots that was lost in the flood was never replaced. There are entire regions on the world that we don't have any books on. Students can't do their degree without interlibrary loans. Some books are also no longer in print or incredibly rare.

BY: They think it's cheaper to buy books for areas that students want to study than to maintain the loan system.

WHS/EAP reminder

GK: We have RATs designated for different purposes. Please don't take a bunch without telling me and take them to an event, 1000 is both a lot but also in O-Week will not be a lot. We don't know if we have access to more.

BY: Got a lot of children in the office so keep an eye on your feet. Of course we support the staff's right to bring their children to work but it's a safety hazard. Also be mindful that the parent room is in use right now.

BY: If you see something say something, even near misses.

Matters for discussion

Format for reporting for accountability

BY: I'm keeping record of every meeting I'm going to so you can see the unknowns, where my time is going. Beyond that, I might try to do reports on particular advocacy matters. Make a template for the agenda each week. I want to understand where your time is going, where your capacity's at, etc.

KDB: I'm gonna steal and modify Ben's table from his report.

BT: Same

KH: I think I'll follow what Jaya did, statement first then projects.

CC: I'll see what other people are doing.

GK: Everything I'm doing is public facing and you're all mostly looped into what I'm doing. As projects come up next year, things that are private with reps I'll work out the extent that I'm doing things on my own.

KDB: Can we have overtime as time in lieu?

GK: That's usually awarded to the Clubs Officer in O-Week but it's an individual thing for every one else. 1 on 1 discussion for everyone else. If it's not to do with O-Week, a time management discussion is a good idea.

BT: We're technically not employees so it's not a contractual thing because we don't have overtime.

O-Week capacity for support

GK: Please let Charlotte know when you have capacity to do things, she knows she can Slack as well. Also, if you have particular strengths let her know and what capacities you have.

CC: Next week, the Qpay reaffiliation will be the big thing.

Counter Course guide

BT: what do people think per structure, Orientation Handbook with it, etc. What I was thinking structure-wise – reached out to Lia Perkins at USyd – I'm happy to organise it myself, who has capacity, SAIt will also want to jump onto it?

GK: I think it's a good idea to ask people to write articles?

BT: We can invite people to write things on specific points, then have an open space where we put out an EOI for others to contribute. Who should we reach out to?

GK: I'd be worried about defamation particularly with the first one. We should reach out to departments first. We should reach out to IHC.

BT: Definitely

GK: I'm happy to write something small, unsure what on.

BT: you could talk about university funding and conflicts for us. I think Kai you should write something about housing if you can

KDB: I'm a compsci student so it might not be great and might take a while but I'd love to be involved anyway. I think it'd be great to have something positive and new

BT: Yeah definitely, evidence of something we can win. My new housemate is really involved in the Canberra Housing Coalition. You could cowrite with someone from there. You don't have to write it alone.

GK: I can help out if you need writing assistance.

ACTION: Bea to have a timeline with quotes for printing for next week and to ask Kate for quotes.

Grace is acting President next week

GK: I have all powers Ben has re decision making, signatures, etc. I'll also still be VP.

BT: There is also a crisis mode for delegation of duties.

Matters for decision

Meeting closed: 3:15pm