

EXECUTIVE MEETING

Date: 5/11/22

Time Opened: 4:43

Attending: Ben, Grace, Kat, Phi, Kai, Charlotte, Bea + bonus guest stars Christian, Chido, Jaya

Apologies:

Minutes: Phi

Time Closed:

AGENDA ITEMS

1. Acknowledgement of country
2. Administration
3. Accepting the previous meeting's minutes
4. Declaration of conflicts of interest
5. Executive decisions since the last executive meeting
6. Declaration of confidential agenda items
7. Portfolio reports
8. ANU Committees
9. WHS/EAP reminder
10. Matters for discussion
11. Matters for decision

MINUTES

Acknowledgement of country

Kai gave an Acknowledgement of country.

Administration

Accepting the previous meeting's minutes

No one dissented

Declaration of conflicts of interest

None

Executive decisions since the last executive meeting

None

Declaration of confidential agenda items

Portfolio reports

Ben

Department Meetings

CAP rep

Hiring for Admin

IDEA Governance

SASH Handover

Induction for exec (and depts)

BY: Dept Officer meetings going well - once we've had all of them will bring them back for thoughts on support structures.

IDEA approved Terms of References for a lot of 6 month task forces they're running - an anti-Racism one and an LGBTQI one. Anti-racism one explicitly mentions racism report and devising a response to it and long term actions. The BIPOC Officer will be on it. That will start soon. The LGBTQI one will start in May 2023.

SASH handover - Incoming/outgoing Pres/VP/Women's. Discussing what the organising structure looks like for SASH campaigns going into the future. Ongoing discussion.

Induction for exec and depts. Separately, the staff run an induction for us. Going through workplace policies/office use/legal risk/defamation/insolvency/student assistance/comms officer. I've asked Eleanor to design it so that we can do as much as possible combined with Departments. Think we'll have a tag team type thing.

Grace

GK: A lot of my stuff was with Ben but also doing more Induction planning and doing BKSS shortlisting stuff/a lot of BKSS stuff in preparation for next year.

Kat

Departments Treasurer meeting after exam

Detailed budget lines

KH: Going to schedule with dept treasurers soon after exams so I can do brief inductions with them and Officers. Another thing is I'm going to work on detailed budget lines.

BY: on detailed budget lines - there's 5-10 budget lines where it's not clear what the key expenses are so that we can know. If you have major projects that haven't been done before or are in your portfolio that will require a lot of money if you could let us know how much resourcing you want. Let us know where you think it'll head and where. Less stresstival/meeting food/training as examples.

Phi

Not much this week sorry! Did briefly chat to DSA and they're keen to talk soon about meeting spaces

BY: SRC0?

PO: last weekend we did first weekend of December. Similar time. Zoom only.

BY: the way meg and I did it was different - Meg did practices with hypotheticals. The rationale for me was that we spent a lot of the budget over the summer and we have no SRC as our accountability measure until march - which model were you kind of thinking?

PO: second but I'd like consultative discussion items i.e. meeting spaces

BY: this year no one but exec and Xya really talked. Can't be formal motions but can practise discussion items and etiquette stuff.

Bea

TLDC are happy to have charlotte join, it's on Nov 10

Kai and I are meeting next Tues

Pondering on Dep Ed Process

CC: I can make it to TLDC - I'll be on zoom

KDB: what's TLDC

BT: the teaching learning development committee - the third from top in bodies of decisionmaking

BY: it goes Academic board (subcommittee of council), then three committees: AQAC which is all policy stuff, TLDC is "blue sky" vision making, then University Research Committee.

Kai

Department checkins - DSA

Slack and email statuses

KDB: One thing mentioned was using slack and email statuses to help make people aware of when we're on leave and can't be accessed for a reason or another. Probably a good general practice anyways.

BY: slack and email statuses - maybe when we do joint dept/exec meeting we do communication boundaries talk again but also about reasonable expectations for you i.e. how long it will take you to respond to something, following up, what your needs are etc

KDB: to an extent slack statuses can cut out the middleman there - might not require as much remembering and discourse

GK: let's tell people how to do those

PO: Christian has a chart of what days people work but having something similar in slack statuses might be helpful.

GK: sharing email calendars also helpful

Charlotte

- My report is basically just the agenda items
- Met w/ DSA and stakeholders respectively per market day - both meetings went well

CC: o week coordinator closes on monday. We can't advertise on schmidtposting anymore

ANU Committees

WHS/EAP reminder

Christian issued a directive under WHS regulations on updated COVID matters - have a read of that

Matters for discussion

SSAF

Charlotte - Market Day location

CC: Met with DSA - brought to her various Market Day options and some research on accessibility. Aside from Willows, uni ave is the only accessible option. Chifley Meadows is really difficult. We

agreed that uni ave was probably most viable and practical. Lots of discussions about quiet hour. These discussions continued in handover.

On Thursday, we met with the O-Week stakeholders - FOC, ANU Sport, Gardens, security. I said I was really only interested in uni ave. They've said yes but we need some extra space - want us to branch off a bit and go into either Marie Reay open ground floor area, to fenner courtyard, copland, north road for ANU sport, the little lawn area next to AD Hope, and joplin lane. Just want to gauge what everyone's thoughts are.

BY: I like that idea, it would be fun to explore all of the stalls - to my mind the best ones are Fenner courtyard, ground floor MR esp for clubs w concerns about heat, using the lawns, put depts on lawns?

PO: can't leave things in Kambri all of o-week

CC: putting departments in the middle of uni ave. don't love joplin lane - people won't like being place there and i think we're taking up enough of Kambri already

KDB: when you say uni ave what do you envision

CC: all of it

PO: greens is difficult w la nina. Would make logistics difficult.

KDB: someone said that la nina would be over early

PO: less at risk than coast - my la nina year was a non issue with rain

KDB: is it going to have to be single column

CC: yes

BY: can you get shallow marquees

PO: maybe

PO: more expensive than our market day because not having a big structure

BY: could we have willows as back up?

CC: i would be concerned - i think the big marquee is a bit of a risk, i'd be concerned about splitting up market day

BY: what would the options be to use north road itself?

CC: kitty said it was possible

PO: kitty kind of liked the idea of ANU sport leading it to ANU

Charlotte - Clubs reaffiliation assistance

PO: past data on reaffiliations was flawed. We decided this year that when clubs get onto QPay we will effectively make them affiliate. One of the concerns of the previous clubs system, especially because it was volunteer run, didn't check a lot of details. I think if we affiliate all clubs from scratch, we should do it well. If there were a clubs staff member it would help a lot.

CC: would like it done over summer. What are people's workloads looking like over summer? I'll be low capacity to complete it

PO: a lot of capacity, makes sense for gen sec to help with this

KDB: can i let you know?

BY: on my end i can't make many promises about my capacity - can easily help with constitutions

GK: can definitely help with admin stuff. Doing summer course over January

BT: i think i'm a bit more like kai - still trying to draw out what it looks like - will let you know

KH: most of my work will be ESC and dept/treasurer meetings but still have to let you know later - related to grants as well?

KDB: help with affiliation - what does that mean? Sheer volume of getting through each of them

CC: we have a lot of clubs so it's a lot to do, i need to suss out where the staff can assist, things like valid constitutions, valid business accounts, this process will end up taking a bit - where things are wrong is where time will slow. I anticipate that this will happen with a lot of clubs. Then we have to share the burden of contacting said club, how quickly they reply, each case will be different.

PO: listed some admin stuff that could be wrong. I think that the dream is having exec look at affiliation forms, assess them, and highlight what's wrong.

BY: can look at things being done on a skill set level

KDB: suggestion - is there scope for having a constitution template

CC: to my understanding it already exists but it's a mess

PO: i made a head start on it

Diaries and wall planners

BY: we used to do diaries, now we do wall planners - it's much cheaper to do wall planners. Looking at whether diaries are viable for next year in terms of dates.

BT: diaries don't get used! 2000 sat in the BKSS in 2020

BY: i find it hard to justify - people love them but they're expensive. Wall planners are useful, we're visible, we can put our key events on there. Could potentially do another merch item like back of phone wallets because everyone on campus uses them

GK: the unit pricing for those are incredibly cheap

BY: could put a lot of fun stuff on them

PO: people love wall planners

BY: timeline for wall planners much more flexible

BT: had a lot of people say they were too big for their wall - not sure if there's an option for a half size

KH: how many did we order for each when we did them? Because wall planners were available until second sem

BY: we didnt do diaries this year. Until 2021 they would be gone by week 3 or 4, but by 2021 that wasn't happening. My concern - it's a risk where i don't want to risk 15000 and even if people love

them they're expensive. On the wall planners, not sure how many we did this year - we did have them until june

GK: that's because it was a staggered giving out because people were taking so many, i thought it was a good amount, had some at bush week but were gone quickly

KH: lots of students dont need diaries in second sem,

PO: half size not very helpful, not enough space

BT: double sided?

Department Rollover

Union ball

BY: Come along, you'll be volunteering. Promote it to people, we want to sell tickets.

DSA updates

- Event list deadline

BY: DSA would like a deadline for events to go on the O-Week calendar

- Return to campus

BY: So many people benefit from online learning, staff, disabled students, working students. This should be at the forefront of our education and activism.

GK: this also depends on China's borders, that impacts online learning immensely.

- Disability Royal Commission

BY: September next year, this will completely change the conversation around the tertiary sector and its treatment of disabled people. We need to be prepared to go hard really quickly. This should do for disability advocacy and activism what the AHRC report did for SASH activism.

Matters for decision